Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A reverence for sacred things gives context to all of life's experiences. That context is especially important when we learn about distant places and people who lived long ago. With the assistance of the spirit, events that took place along the Mormon Trail can touch our hearts and inspire us to greater commitment. As President Boyd K. Packer has encouraged, our objective should be to "see the hand of the Lord in every hour and every moment of the Church from its beginning to now." The journals kept by the pioneers seem to cry out for us to see the hand of the Lord in the events described there. Without the spirit one may see the Mormon Trail as merely sagebrush and dusty paths. But a sensitive heart will discern the eloquent witnesses of what transpired there. When we begin to feel the spiritual kinship with those who walked these trails, our lives are strengthened and enriched."
"Journal of the Trail" Glazir and Clark
Many of the Saints who suffered much on the trek west, when asked alter in life said that they would be willing to do it again for the Gospel sake, for their testimonies, and for the faith of their children and future generations.
Francis Webster
"We suffered beyond anything you can imagine, and many died of exposure and starvation...But we came through with the absolute knowledge that God lives, for we became acquainted with Him in our extremities " I have pulled my handcart when i was so weak and weary from illness and lack of food that I could hardly put one foot ahead of the other  I have looked ahead and seen a patch of sand or hill slope and have said, I can go only that far and there I must give up, for I cannot pull the load through it. I have gone to that sand, and when i reached it, the cart began pushing me. I have looked back may times to see who was pushing my cart, but my eyes saw no one. I knew then that the angels of God were there. "Was I sorry that I chose to come by handcart? No. Neither then nor any minute of my life since. The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful that I was privileged to come in the Martin Handcart Company."
Emily Marshall
Emily Marshall crossed the plains with her widowed mother. Emily celebrated her 10th birthday the after arriving in the valley. In her later life, when Marion's daughter asked her if she would endure her 1856 journey again, she bravely replied, "If I knew that was the only way I could get to Zion and obtain the blessings of the gospel, I certainly would."
Mary Soar Taylor
Mary came as a widow with two sons. William Henry (12) and Jesse Soar (9). "Many had their limbs badly frozen, myself and William among the number. I could not stand on my feet for three months after I arrived. I know it is the work of God and I hope and trust that any of my posterity that may come in possession of this may be strengthened in their faith by it and be worthy of such parentage for truly we suffered much for truth's sake but the reward of the faithful is sure."
James and Sarah Leah
There is a poem written by the grand-daughter of James and Sarah Leah. They both died while crossing the plains as apart of the Martin Handcart Company  Their great faith was passed on to their posterity and is exhibited in this poem.
When you come to the Red sea place in your life
And hardly know what to do
When there's no way back and no way ahead
And only one way and that's through
Then trust in the Lord with a faith supreme
Till the night and the storm is gone
He will still the winds and part the waves
When he says to your soul "Go On"
Marintha Hart


No comments:

Post a Comment